Who We Are:
Studio MDHR is an award-winning independent entertainment studio, and the creators of the whimsical cartoon run & gun game Cuphead as well as its follow-up expansion, The Delicious Last Course.
While we’re a Canadian company, we’re also a fully distributed team! This means you’ll be working from whatever location makes you most comfortable. To make team communication easier, we have North American applicants in mind, but we’re open to discussion if you live elsewhere.
We’re looking for an experienced Art Director to come on board and help shape the visual identity of a brand new project here at the studio. You’ll be an important part of a small, passionate team that comes to work every day to create hand-crafted experiences that surprise and delight people.
Under the guidance of our Design Director, you’ll be instrumental in developing the style, visual language, and ultimately the core identity of an exciting new project currently in its earliest stages. While the role will certainly be focused on creating meaningful art, we’re particularly looking for someone who can bring out the best in other talented artists, and who can capably manage a growing team.
- Substantial experience leading a team of artists & providing detailed feedback on their work
- Credited work on at least one publicly released animated video game or film project, with detailed examples of your specific contributions
- A history of working in animation using both traditional and digital means experience working on paper is a big plus
- A meticulous sense of craftsmanship: you invest love and care into the little details that some people won’t notice
- A diligent, self-motivated work ethic: you manage your time well, and adjust deftly to guidance and direction
- A clear but empathetic management style: the ability to help others improve with actionable feedback that remains positive
- An abiding love of arcade action games from the 1980s/1990s — perhaps even a few entries in your portfolio that demonstrate this!
- An up-to-date understanding of artistic trends in the gaming industry.
- Experience creating top-notch environment and concept art.
In the interest of reviewing as many qualified candidates as possible, we kindly ask all applicants to limit their portfolio submissions to 10 pages (preferably delivered as a single PDF). Due to the high volume of submissions expected, we will only be able to reach out to the applicants we select for further consideration.
Resumes & portfolios can be submitted to email@example.com.
Studio MDHR is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion.