STUDIO MDHR – Game Designer
While we’re a Canadian company, we’re also a fully distributed team! This means you’ll be working from whatever location makes you most comfortable.
Who We Are:
Studio MDHR is an award-winning independent entertainment studio, and the creators of the whimsical cartoon run & gun game Cuphead.
We’re looking for a sharp, talented Game Designer to join the studio as soon as possible. You’ll be an important part of a small, passionate team that comes to work every day to create hand-crafted experiences that surprise and delight people.
Under the guidance of our Creative Director and Design Director, you’ll conceptualize high-level gameplay, refine your ideas into levels, and shape moment-to-moment player interaction. You’ll work with programmers to implement prototypes, and collaborate with artists to find the best ways to bring your designs to life. This is a hands-on position that spans all parts of a project, so you will need to be confident about your skills in ideation, implementation, collaboration, and tuning.
• A demonstrated background in designing gameplay-first, precision controlled 2D action games — with at least one playable project that contains your work.
• Strong examples of both level and enemy design work.
• Confidence articulating the qualities of satisfying “game feel” and engaging level design, with an understanding for how these things fit together.
• Familiarity with the game development process and the way it fits into the larger production of a project.
• The ability to break down complicated design goals into discrete, solvable components, prioritize what is important, and provide accurate time estimates for your work.
• Diligent, self-motivated work ethic: you manage your time well, and adjust deftly to guidance and direction.
• Previous experience working on a 2D platformer.
• A history of working in Unity, or a similar game development suite.
• Alongside examples of playable projects, a design portfolio that breaks down your work and expands on your process. Note: no new design pitches whatsoever, please.
• A strong understanding and abiding love of the design and gameplay fundamentals of action, platformer, and arcade games from the 80s and 90s.
In the interest of reviewing as many qualified candidates as possible, we will only be able to reach out to those being considered for the position. In some cases, we may ask applicants to conduct a brief practical design evaluation.
Resumes & portfolios can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.